Friday, August 10, 2012

Freeky Friday: Movie Quotes


There are so many choices for my favorite movie quote. I suppose I should narrow my search to lines I have pilfered, then used in a different context. So be it.

My career has been spent in the customer service industry. During that time, I have heard countless tales of woe, abuse, indifference and complaints. I have been thanked far more times than blamed. I have seen people do the extraordinary (more on that next week) and the idiotic. I've been yelled at more than I care to remember. While it has not been often, I can probably recall every single time that it has happened.

Once, someone was berating me for circumstances that were far beyond my control (the weather at a Florida hotel). I listened patiently, allowing the customer to vent far beyond what was reasonable, for what seemed like 15 minutes. Finally, the customer asked me what my thoughts were on whatever he was ranting about.

I knew I only had one chance to defuse this person with a statement so sublimely perfect. Somewhere, out of the recesses of my memory, I pulled out this nugget from an old film. As I could not find the clip on You Tube, you will have to read about it here:

Warren Beatty, as John McCabe, a blowhard sort, is explaining the meaning of life to another character. "Sheehan, you sumbitch, if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass so much, you know what I mean?"


For the sake of gentility, I omitted the reference to Sheehan's heritage from my citation. The guest looked at me, mentioned the film, then proceeded to tell me about his admiration for the work of Robert Altman, the film's director. We had a lengthy conversation, both concluding that Nashville is perhaps the 3rd greatest film of all time.

While I have quoted this on numerous occasions, only this one time did it have such a purpose. It worked beautifully, mollifying the situation, getting the irate customer onto another topic altogether and sending him away, happy. I don't think I would use it in such a situation again; kismet need only strike but once.

No comments:

Post a Comment